AAU Career

unemployment insurance funds

If you do not immediately have a job after graduation of your bachelor or master’s degree, you might be entitled to receive unemployment benefit. 

➡ We will give you a quick introduction to unemployment insurance funds and benefits here. There are many rules, so make sure to ask your own unemployment insurance fund what applies in your specific situation.

Unemployment insurance funds - what are the essentials

  • +

    What is an ”a-kasse”?

    The Danish word “a-kasse” is an abbreviation for ‘arbejdsløshedskasse’ which means unemployment insurance fund (UIF). Most professions and trades have their own specialized UIF, and you can freely choose your UIF.

    Depending on different things, when you join (become a member of) the UIF, you may be entitled to an amount of regular income if you become unemployed. The UIF can give you time to look for the right job, pay your bills – and in fact help you find a job.

    According to the rules, if you apply for unemployment benefit after your graduation you may be in a qualifying period of 3 weeks before you may get your benefit. However, if you have been a student member for more than 1 year you may receive benefit immediately after your graduation.

    Be attentive: Always ask your UIF for the specific rules that are relevant for you

    Here is a list of the UIFs in Denmark (in Danish)

  • +

    Am I entitled to become member and receive benefits?

    Admission to an unemployment fund (a-kasse) – rules for new graduates

    • You must have completed your B.A. or master’s degree before you are entitled to receive unemployment benefit from an UIF.
    • You had a permanent address in Denmark no later than one day before the start of your education.
    • Your education has to be of minimum 18 months.
    • The first day you are unemployed you need to sign up at the job centre in order to be eligible for unemployment benefit. 
    • You have to apply for membership at the unemployment insurance fund no later than 14 days after graduation. The 2-week deadline is laid down by the law, and the unemployment funds are not able to make dispensations. When you receive benefit from Denmark you cannot go on vacation without giving notice to your UIF – you need to be in DK and prove that you are actually available for job search, meetings etc.
    • If you are an EU citizen and from the Nordic countries, you can join the unemployment insurance fund, and you can look for a job – you only need to apply for an EU residence document.
    • If you are not an EU citizen, we advise you to contact Work In Denmark as you need to have a residence and work permit for 37 hours work per week to be able to work and live in DK.
  • +

    Where can I get help?

    • You own UIF’s website
    • Workindenmark: For more elaborated information about benefit, residence and work permit etc., visit their website
  • +

    AAU Career collaborates with these UIFs

You might also be interested in...

How can I benefit from being a member of a trade union during and after my education, and which unions could be a great match for me?

Trade unions

What do I need to be aware of if I don't have a job when I graduate? How does the job centre work, and how can it help me find a job?

job centre

Where can I get help if I am staying in Denmark when I have graduated? Where can I get help in Aalbrog, Copenhagen and Esbjerg?

Help after graduation