AAU logo

AAU Career

Job centre


Job centre - first step when graduating


The first day you are unemployed you must report to a job centre in order to be eligible for unemployment benefit. You can do this in person by attending your local job centre or on jobnet.

It is a requirement for receiving benefit that you are inscribed at a job centre.

At the job centre you will be given an unemployment benefit card and a declaration of unemployment. The declaration should be completed and sent to the unemployment fund along with copies of, among other things, your tax card. Your unemployment card should be sent to your unemployment fund once your unemployment period is over.

Read more at Work in Denmark.


For citizens from countries outside of Europe

There can be other rules for non-EU citizens about whether you have the opportunity to work in Denmark and get help when you have finished your degree.

This can depend on:

  • your right to receive dependents
  • your residence permit
  • your work permit
  • your ability to self-support, etc.

You always have the right to go to the job center to receive guidance in order to clarify your possibilities as a job seeker.

For some, it is possible to be eligible to receive job training (virksomhedspraktik), courses or other relevant programmes, whereas others do not have that opportunity and have to use the help provided by WorkinDenmark or International house Aalborg. Your local Job center can help clarify this for you.


Where to get help

International House is the obvious place to get help about residence permit, job seeking seminar etc.


Working in a part-time job while studying and after graduation – what to do?

If you have a part-time job with a fixed term of notice, you need a ’notice waiver’ from your employer in order to receive unemployment benefits when graduating.

You can use it as evidence that you are able to quit your part-time job at a moment’s notice in order to assume full-time employment. In other words, if your part-time employer signs a notice waiver, they have waived their right to a term of notice in case of your resignation.

If you find day-to day work - and with no term of notice – you do not require a notice waiver. The same applies if you are able to schedule your work at any given time of day.

If you don’t want to keep your part-time time when you graduate, make sure to quit your job before graduation otherwise you are in risk of losing your rights to benefits.


Voluntary, unpaid work – how can this inflict on your benefits?

As a rule, time spent working – paid or unpaid – will be deducted from your benefits. The only exception is voluntary work in NGOs, associations or clubs that do not exist primarily to generate a profit. You can undertake such work with no limitations, provided that it is unpaid, requires no special educational background and could not have been done by any other as part of a paid job.

Examples of voluntary, unpaid work includes helping in a soup kitchen, being an activist in an NGO, volunteering at the local archives or taking part in amateur theatre.

If the work could be done as part of a paid job, or if it requires a certain educational background, you are only allowed an average of four hours a week.