During your studies, you are going to have to make hard decisions. Most university educations do not only pave the way for a single profession. The choices you make during your studies will shape your education as well as your professional career. Your interests may change several times during your studies, so remember to continuous reflect on what is important to you.
The AAU Student guidance offers great advice on how to make the most of your time at AAU and tools to give your study a desirable direction:
- Engage yourself in your curriculum and achieve academic insight.
- Find out how you work the best.
- Set goals for yourself.
An important element when planning your study is to know how you work best. Perhaps the following questions can help you get started:
- What time of day do I usually perform at my best? If you are more focused in the morning, you may want to schedule your studies regularly to this time of day and vice versa.
- Do I read/write best when I am alone or in the company of others?
- Do I read/write best when I am at home or somewhere else, such as the library?
- How long can I keep my focus? If you can read heavy academic material for only 30 minutes at a time, you should naturally not plan to read 300 pages in one sitting.
- Am I good at motivating myself, or do I need to arrange with other students to get started?
- Do I start reading/writing, if I have 5 - 10 minutes? 20 minutes? Or do I need at least half an hour to optimize my work?
- How many hours of sleep do I need?
- How many hours will/can I use on my studies daily/weekly/monthly?
- How many hours can I use on my leisure activities on a daily/weekly/monthly basis? (Friends, sport, family, etc.)
- How do I typically procrastinate?
It is important that you also prioritize your sports as exercise will give you extra energy. and it may also take away the tension in your body from sitting down for many hours.
Get more pieces of advice on how to plan your studies or help in general on how to thrive during your time of study at AAU: https://www.en.aau.dk/education/student-guidance/guidance/study-technique/study-planning/